We are still open ... virtually. We are meeting with clients by video or phone

COVID 19 - How Can We Help?

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice


If your other half is getting on your nerves during these times of isolation, we can help. What sort of help is up to you.

Are You Prepared?

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice


Pre-planning is key. Pay attention to the signs around you. Are your wills up to date?

Look Out For Others

Divorce or Criminal Defence - Your Choice

Look Out For Others


Keeping in touch with those we care about is important. If you're worried about someone, talk to them. Did they get the right permit for their DIY jobs at home?

Ready to read answers (faq'S)



The advice below is general in nature and should not be treated as any more than general information. To give you advice, your individual circumstances need to be considered. You really should contact us with your specific legal issues. 

Criminal Law


What is it like to be a criminal defence lawyer?

Listen to Brett Tait being interviewed here.

Are you Defence or Prosecution Lawyers?

We are criminal defence lawyers. We represent people charged with criminal offences. Our clients are prosecuted by either the Victoria Police (for less serious offences) or the Director of Public Prosecutions (for serious offences).

What sort of cases do you deal with?

You name it, we’ve probably dealt with it. We have defended clients charged with all sorts of offences from speeding tickets to sex offences and murder.

The Police want to speak to me, what should I do?

Give one of the criminal defence lawyers at TAIT Lawyers a call before going in to speak to the Police. Our Lawyers can advise you on your rights and what to say or not say to the Police.

Can you come with me to the interview?

We’re afraid not. It’s not like you see on US television shows. If we attend the interview we could be called as witnesses and therefore  wouldn’t be able to represent you.

I’ve been charged and have to go to Court, what next?

Don’t wait! Give one of our lawyers a call as early as possible, make an appointment and come and speak with us so we can put a plan of action in place and answer as many of the questions as possible that are causing you to lose sleep.

How can you defend people charged with such terrible crimes?

As criminal defence lawyers our job is not to defend the indefensible. Our goal is to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves. The vast majority of criminal cases resolve with the accused pleading guilty to some or all of the charges against them. In that case our role is “damage control” and to get the best result for our client and the community.

Legal Aid

Do you work for Legal Aid?

No, we are private lawyers who will represent you and if you are eligible Victoria Legal Aid will pay our fees for you.

Am I eligible?

Generally, if you receive a benefit from Centrelink and/or hold a Health Card you would be eligible.

What sort of cases will Legal Aid pay for?

Generally, Victoria Legal Aid will pay for legal representation if you have been charged with a criminal offence. There are all sorts of conditions and exceptions imposed by Victoria Legal Aid which we would have to speak to you about. 

Victoria Legal Aid does provide funding for family law matters but we do not do this sort of work if funded by legal aid. 


I’ve just purchased a property – what now?

We would have been happy to have reviewed your contract before you purchased, but we’re here to handle the paperwork and get you into your new place. Give us a call and we’ll take it from here. 

You might also want to tell the agent that we’re acting for you.

I want to sell a property – what do I need to do?

You’ll need a Contract and Vendor’s Statement prepared. Call us and one of our experienced conveyancing clerks will walk you through the process and tell you what we need to prepare the necessary documentation. 

Wills & Probate

What sort of impact can a bequest make?

Watch Ron, Brett and others remember Francine McNiff and discuss the impact her generous bequest to Monash University is expected to have on students of the future. Click here.

I don’t have a will – do I have to have one?

No you don’t, but if you don’t have one the way your estate is divided will be determined by the Government and not by you. If you want your property to be divided a certain way you will need a will.

I have a will which was prepared years ago – is that still OK?

An “old” will is often still valid but your will should be a something you review from time to time as circumstances change. For example, if you get married a will you prepared before you married becomes invalid. It’s not an expensive process so you might want to come in and have a chat with one of our lawyers to see if a new will is a good idea.

My relative has just died – do we need a lawyer?

There is a legal process dealing with the distribution of someone’s estate after their death. If they have a will, their executor is responsible for paying debts and distributing the net assets. There are legal requirements for dealing with an estate which you can manage in straightforward cases, but our lawyers can help you with that process.